Apply Now: East of Borneo Publications Internship
East of Borneo is seeking a Publications Intern for Summer 2022!
This is a full-time, paid opportunity supported by the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program for a 10-week period from June until August 2022.
East of Borneo is an online magazine of contemporary art and its history as considered from Los Angeles. We publish original essays and interviews alongside a multimedia archive of image, text, video, and sound curated in collaboration with our readers. East of Borneo Books sees the extension of our mission into print, calling attention to the best critical writing and creative research on the visual culture of Los Angeles.
The Publications Intern will report to the Managing Editor and support the activities of the magazine as part of a small editorial team with expertise in art writing and nonprofit publishing. The internship will provide valuable training in online publishing, research, and editing, as well as the opportunity to assist with outreach, events and programs, and the archive. The training provided for this position will appeal to students interested in contemporary art, writing, research, and publishing, and particularly in the application of current technologies to transform the format and interactivity of arts scholarship.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Attend weekly editorial meetings and Getty Marrow Arts Summit and learning community events
- Utilize in-house style sheet to copyedit and proofread articles for publication
- Assist with image sourcing and permissions and prepare images for publication using Adobe CS
- Upload and publish articles to website using custom CMS
- Assist editors with archive and collections research and development
- Help support and organize East of Borneo programs and events
- Assist with publication promotion, outreach, and maintain publicity materials
Eligibility requirements for Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program:
- Applicants must be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent
- Currently enrolled as full-time undergraduates (bachelor’s degree or associate’s degree program) who have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college by June 2022. Students who graduated after April 1, 2022 are also eligible
- Reside or attend college in L.A. County
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident; students with DACA status valid through the internship period are also eligible
More info about the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program here.
To apply for East of Borneo’s Publications Intern position, please submit a resumé and cover letter outlining your interest, as well as two professional or academic references, to the editors at email@example.com. Please include “East of Borneo Publications Intern 2022” in the subject line. Applications due Friday, April 8.