In 1949, La Gardo Tackett, architect-turned-ceramicist, gave his students at the California School of Art (now Art Center) an unusual assignment. He asked them to design ceramic vessels for modern architecture. The results were exhibited and caught the eye of Max and Rita Lawrence, who decided to start a business to produce and sell them.
Architectural Pottery was launched in 1950 and immediately became as essential to a modern home as glass walls and flat roofs. Embraced by architects, designs from Architectural Pottery were also included in the 1951 exhibit “Good Design” at MoMA.
Photo by Julius Shulman. Copyright Architectural Pottery.