Apply Now! East of Borneo Publications Internship
East of Borneo is seeking a Publications Intern for Summer 2023!
This is a full-time, paid opportunity supported by the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program for a 10-week period from June 12 – August 18.
East of Borneo is an online magazine of contemporary art and its history as considered from Los Angeles. We publish new essays and interviews alongside a multimedia archive of image, text, video, and sound curated in collaboration with our community. East of Borneo Books sees the extension of our mission into print, calling attention to a diverse range of critical writing on the visual culture of Los Angeles.
The Publications Intern will report to the Managing Editor and support the activities of the magazine as part of a small editorial team with expertise in art writing and online publishing. The internship will provide valuable training in research and editing, as well as the opportunity to assist with outreach, events and programs, and the archive. The training provided for this position will appeal to students interested in contemporary art, writing, and publishing, and particularly in the application of current technologies to transform the format and interactivity of arts scholarship. Students with a special interest in publication design also encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Attend weekly editorial meetings, Getty Marrow Arts Summit, and learning community events
- Utilize in-house style sheet to copyedit and proofread articles for publication
- Assist with image sourcing and permissions and prepare images for publication using Adobe CS
- Assist editors with archive and collections research and development
- Help support and organize East of Borneo programs and events
- Coordinate and curate social media accounts to highlight archive and publications
- Design promotional and publication materials as needed
Eligibility requirements for Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program:
- Applicants must be of a group underrepresented in museums and visual arts organizations, including, but not limited to, individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate in either a bachelor’s degree program or an associate’s degree program. Students must have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college by June 2023. Students who graduated the semester or quarter immediately before the internship begins are also eligible. (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Reside or attend college in L.A. County
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident; students with DACA status valid through the internship period are also eligible
More info about the Getty Marrow Undergraduate Internship Program here.
To apply for East of Borneo’s Publications Intern position, please submit a resumé and cover letter outlining your interest, as well as two professional or academic references, to email@example.com. Please include “East of Borneo Publications Intern 2023” in the subject line. Applications due April 7, 2023.